Thursday, March 24, 2011

Whats Next For Esperanza?

After reading the last four vignettes, I have gotton a different perspective on what Esperanza has in store for the rest of her life. On page 110 she says, "They will not know I have gone away to come back. For the ones I left behind. For the ones who cannot out." By this, I think she means that she is leaving the house on mango street, but she will return. She will return not too stay, but instead return to help. Help all of the people that helped her. Help them leave their houses on mango street, and make a better life for them and their families. She tells us that she us leaving mango street, but to do what? In page 110 as well she says,"One day I will pack my bags of books and paper." Even though she has not left yet, when she does I believe that she wants to make the best life for herself that she can. When she talks about taking her books and paper, I get the impression that she wants to further her education. I believe that she wants to do this for a couple of reasons. First, so that she can make a better life for herself. Secondly, so that she can support her family and maybe children in the future. And Lastly, so that she help the people who helped her get away from Mango street. My understanding from the book, was that Mango street was somewhat of the slums of where she lived. This does not mean that Esperanza was a bad person, but she needed to get out of there. This was not the kind of life she wanted. She wanted a better education so that she can get a good job, and get her family out of these slums. That is how I understood the prompt, and this is why I believe that Esperanza wanted and/or needed to get away from the little house on Mango St.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Search This Blog